March 29, 2017

Ribeira Grande

On this trip I'm staying in the town of Ribeira Grande, which I visited only once previously for one evening so didn't know very well at all. Having been here for almost two weeks now, I can say that I like it very much. We are on the north coast of São Miguel, in the middle part of the island. It's the second largest city on the island, with a population of around 4000, so not as busy as the main city of Ponta Delgada, which is only a 20-minute drive away. We have plenty of most things one would need, and the town has a relaxed feeling that I really like. And yes, we do have a large river. There is also a very nice sand beach here, a bit of a rarity in these parts. And a radio station. And a fancy new contemporary arts center where I have been rehearsing and will be performing soon. I'll write about that in another post. For now, I'll just post a few pics taken along the main street that give a pretty good sense of the town.





Below is a picture of Nuno's house, where we are staying. The door in the center is his, and everything you see on the top floor. This was originally two houses that were later joined together.