March 19, 2017

Slow Sunday

I slept an amazing 11 hours last night. Woke up feeling great and non-jet lagged. Went to the local supermarket and bought some grocery essentials: wine, cheese, fruit, yogurt, muesli, juice. There is a public market here but it only happens once a week, so I'll try that later.

There was a big religious procession down our street today. I'm not sure what the occasion was, maybe something in the lead-up to Easter. There were five or six different marching bands. They try to leave room for each other, but sometimes I could hear two playing at once, which I love.

Grabbed some dinner at a local "snack bar"/pizzeria. Fried hake, boiled potatoes with parsley, a small salad, some rice, and a pastel de nata for less than €8. Not bad. The young kid who worked the counter spoke perfect English, said "Your Portuguese is great!" I told him he was lying, but thanks for saying so. Nuno is now cooking an octopus stew with a whole octopus in it. I will observe.